Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Trophy Kids, are you one?


So I was reading an article recently about Generation Y a.k.a.(take a deep breath) Millennials, Generation Me, Trophy Kids, I could go on and on.

This generation begins in the early 1980s to the early 2000s, oh my goodness that's me! Reading further into the subject on the characteristics and traits I really began to question is this who I am?

Am I from a generation of self entitlement and narcissism? All of the articles that I read those were the two main characteristics. Did I grow up with the constant need of warm fuzzes and reassurance that I was awesome. 

I began to question did my parents do this to me or was this how everyone my age was being raised? With that it was time to whip out the memory boxes and photo albums. Gasp, much to my dismay I had a ton trophies, metal, certificates and ribbons. It was almost nauseating, I got awards for just living, REALLY? With being just given things growing up was that shaping what I thought I deserved as an adult? I had so many questions.

Maybe I did have a small amount of  self entitlement but narcissism, no way! Narcissism is defined(here) as inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity. Well that wasn't me or was it? I thought about how long it takes me to get ready in the morning and how many times I look at myself in the mirror a day. And maybe this is just a girl thing(that's my story and I am sticking to it) we like to be told we look good. If someone notices we lost weight, new close or hair style, we love it. Now I don't think I am a narcissist but there is the pressure of today and the keeping up with the Jones' effect. 

I guess I just find it a bit appalling that this is my generation. Is this how generations before and after me will perceive me? If that's the case I am ashamed.

So take a moment and think about it. This for sure is not what I want my generation to be known for. 



No comments:

Post a Comment